View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 03:17 AM
Patti Mahoney

Dear wuv,
Ok you asked! lol I used to crochet and cross stitch, alot! After years of making enough Christmas decoration type crochet stars, snow flakes, angels, etc etc etc and dozens of doilies I decided I was growing bored with crochet. Then, I taught myself to cross stitch. How hard can that be, right? Well, in order to do it 'right' it takes time and patience. But, I did teach my self to cross stitch. But after cross stitching pieces like 'The Little Aviator" and his girl kickoff, sorry I can't remember what they called her, and a whole ton of other cross stitch type pieces such as quilt scenes, which I absolutely loved, I grew bored with cross stitch. I was looking on the internet for a craft that I could carry along with me to just about any place I wanted to go. I came across a website that, very basically, taught a person how to cover hexagons to make a GFG quilt but it only gave directions to cover the paper pieces and only showed how to make one flower. Sooo, after I looked at the direction/instructions and decided, I thought that was something I could do. Wow, who can't whip stitch a seam or two together, Right??? So without a plan or pattern I just started covering pieces of hexagon shaped paper with fabric. After I had a few thousand of those made I decided it was time to start to sew them together. Well, the instuctions/directions didn't tell me I needed a pattern or some sort of organized thought as to how I was going to put these things together. I started stitching together the hexs in some very untraditional type patterns but all in all they do look like flowers but just not with the traditional looking flowers (which I later found out that the flowers should have a certain center, then a first and second row to like fabric flowers for each of the two circular rows). See, no pattern, no specific directions, no clue. Anyhow, after I started making these 'flowers' I went back online, I think to Youtube this time, to find out what else I should do....Wellllllllllll, that's when I found a whole array of GFG quilts and how beautiful they are, if done right, and that I should have had a specific plan and pattern. After spending many many many many many many many many many many hours on the computer, and here on the QB and buying books and supplies and fabric (I used to call it just plain old 'material'... I know better now,lol)...I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE quilting....AND I'm learning to do it right. I took an Applique class, which I thoroughly love. It's been almost three years and I just this past week finished hand stitching my 1" hexagon GFG quilt top. I've learned sooo much along the way. The ladies here on the QB have been fabulously, terrifically, magnificently wonderful (Geez, I hope I spell those words corrently). I know I've asked some of the craziest questions and no one has told me, "Hey, look, crazy lady, get off our site", lolol..Just kidding.

NOW, you asked WHY? do I personally quilt. Initially, it was relaxing. I could carry the hexs, while I was in the hex covering phase, anywhere at all and work on it whenever, it was so portable. I could cut out those small little squares of fabric to cover the hexs anywhere at all. I hand cut those too, see, no clue, didn't know I needed rotary cutters and patterns and pins, lol. I even printed and cut out, by hand, the 3245 paper piece hexs that are, even now, still basted into my quilt top awaiting removal when I start the sandwiching and basting phase, which will be started real soon, I just went, last week, and bought my backing fabric and batting. HOWEVER......I believe God puts you in places that you NEED to be just at the right time rather than places you 'think' you should be. I am going through a divorce right now and just yesterday i found out I have to have a breast biopsy, (when it rains...it pours, as the old saying goes). Without something to keep my mind occupied, especially when I'm home, I think, right about now, I could go complete bonkers. When I'm stressed, I can pick up a piece of quilting, I love hand stitching, and work on it for a while and I soon find that I am no longer tense or to the point where I could just scream out loud. I am very new to quilting and I think that the little miniscule of knowledge that I have acquired, so far, has helped me to keep my sanity. I can't imagine ever growing bored with quilting. There are sooooo many patterns to choose from, fabric colors and designs, tools to play with (I love tools, lol), sewing machines to buy ( I have three so far), a vast variety of threads to choose from, I could go on and on. have a 'In The Future' TO DO list with about 12 ideas on it, so far. AND last but no where near least....I love the people I've met and chatted with both on the QB and in person. Quilting has been a God sent gift. This is where my Angel has guided me and she's doing her job very well.....Thanks, Mom......