Thread: Cost of Fabric
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 04:35 AM
mpspeedy

So much depends on what you are going to make and for whom. I make a lot of Linus quilts and I will admit that they are not made from quilt shop fabric. Most of it comes from Joann's bargin markdowns or their children's fabrics that I was able to use a coupon to purchase. I only indugle in "quilt shop" fabric when I am making a special quilt either for a gift or for myself or immediate family. Again if it is just going to be a quilt for my grandkids to snuggle under while watching TV it usually doesn't come from a quilt shop. I am a step-mother of three all of which have almost grown children. Neither my step-daughter or my two daughter-in-laws know much about or appreciate handwork. Over the years they have all received quilts or quilted items from me but they were made with attractive but less expensive materials. While there is nothing wrong with constantly redecorating your home I am not willing to spend the time it takes to make a handquilted masterpiece only to see it religated to the dog's box the next time one of the children redocrates. My step-daughter is a medical professional and puts "all" of her bedding through the wash everytime she changes the bed, quilt included.