View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 07:11 AM
MsEithne

Originally Posted by quilter1
I am looking for a thimble for hand applique and sewing, but cannot seem to find something that is not bulky. I have tried the sticky dots, an old fashioned metal thimble, a Roxanne's silver thimble, a leather thimble and nothing at all, but I get holes in my finger. Has anyone found a thimble that is flexible but yet will keep my poor old finger from getting holes in the end? I plan on ordering a hand quilting thimble from The Thimble Lady, but still need one for my applique. Anyone have a tried and true thimble?
For hand quilting, I adore my Thimble Lady cone thimbles (finger and thumb).

For other sewing, I use a tailor's thimble, which is like an ordinary metal thimble but without a top. It's like a wide ring that fits around my fingertip. It has a ridge around the bottom edge and a smaller ridge around the top edge.

Fifty years ago, when my mother started me on hand sewing, she got a tiny thimble for me. And when I said it didn't feel right, I couldn't sew with it, she had me wear it all day every day for a week. Problem solved.

In fact, I'm so conditioned to using a thimble that I'm not sure I could sew anything by hand without my thimble on.