Old 10-27-2011, 04:02 PM
arimuse

Originally Posted by Anna.425
The thing that I love about these threads is that it always gives me something to learn about. I had no idea that The Orphan Train existed. When I looked it up I found that there is a PBS special about it. My next stop, Netflix.
there's a movie made, maybe in the 40s with watler pigeon and greer garson - don't remember the name but it's set in Canada, and the main plot is walter is trying to run for some gov't office and an orphan train comes thru his town and a little girl is put in a family that didnt want her, so she ends up with walter and greer - but, they are protestant and the little girl is catholic (actually, not all the kids were orphans, some were given up by families that could not care/ feed them!) and people in the town think 1. its a political move for walter, and 2. its not right for a catholic to live with protestants. In the meantime the little girl loves these people asnd wants then for parents. It's really a very nice movie and actually has a plot and no bad words, violence, or nudeity , look at the TCM website and you might find the name of the movie under one of the actors names.
they really moved kids around a lot! a few hundred yrs ago - there's a movie in production right now about kids taken from England and sent w/o their parents knowledge or concent to Australia. I guess the kids were in poor homes, or under the care of the crown or something, but they actually had parents. sharet