View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 07:39 AM
sewnsewer2
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wraez
Hi, I made one several years ago. I don't have a photo handy, will find the jacket hopefully and post when I can.

I followed the directions on 'I can't believe its a sweatshirt' pattern. But after cutting off the cuffs and ribbing at the bottom I used about 5 inches of more sweatshirt fabric from identical sweatshirt to make it longer, I didn't care for the short-waisted look.

My sweatshirt was black and I used a variety of bright fabrics cut in 2x2 sqs and some rectangles and placed them on a section of the jacket (after opening the seams down the sides and laid flat) used a bit of fabric glue to secure it so that I could stitch it all down and then used a metallic thread to add some glitz and glitter. Turned out really well. with the bright fabrics and black sweatshirt, it looked a bit like stained glass.

Sue I hope you can take a pic, I'd love to see it. I want to add pockets to mine too. Thanks, I will wash it 1st.

One suggestion, launder the sweatshirt first. My pattern directions said not to so that the jacket would achieve a certain look after completed. Well it did shrink and made the sleeves shorter than I liked and had to lengthen them. Also the black sweatshirt bled and dulled my bright fabrics. It was a learning experience. Oh, and I added hidden pockets.

But I always got lots of compliments on the jacket when I wore it.

warm quilt hugs, sue

Sue I hope you can take a pic, I'd love to see it. I want to add pockets to mine too. Thanks, I will wash it 1st.