Old 10-28-2011, 12:44 AM
GladGrams

I too have greatly enjoyed this thread and reading about everyone's ancestors.

There is a book that lists all the names of relatives on my father's side of the family. The original came to the states from an area that was part of Bavaria in 1649 and helped to settle Germantown in Phila, Pa.

Life was hard for many of the older generations. My grandfather (father's dad) was a coal miner near Pine Grave, Pa. After being diagnosed with black lung he opened a bar and restaurant in Pine Grove. This was destroyed during the prohibition days when the "revenuers" came in and broke every dish, cup and glass. The family moved to Philadelphia (the city) where the family of 6 kids would have more advantages. Sadly the 3 older girls were forced out to work (2 of them in cigar factories) so the father could pay off his previous debt from the bar. The oldest, whose name I have, was incredibly intelligent and was offered a higher education funded by a teacher which my grandfather turned down. What waste of a mind! I knew her and she was an amazing lady.

On my mother's side my grandparents emigrated from Norway and Sweden in Scandinavia. I contacted by a 4th cousin this past summer who I never knew existed. We visited them this past summer and were able to see many of the old homesteads from my great and great great grandparents. We have not been able to trace my grandmother's family in Sundsval, Sweden as of yet. Just know her mother's name was Josefine and the family were candy makers.

My grandparents met in Liverpool, England where they both were embarking on a trip to America. He had come back to accompany his cousins. She was only 19 and alone going to Atlantic City, N.J. to become a lady's companion. They fell in love on the trip and married some time later in N.J. I have their wedding portraits hanging in my living room.

No one famous, but surely lots of wonderful stories...

Gjita Marie Erickson Olavsen
[ATTACH=CONFIG]278164[/ATTACH]

Fritz Hjalmar Olavsen
[ATTACH=CONFIG]278165[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-278111.jpe   attachment-278112.jpe