Old 02-12-2007, 02:53 AM
patricej
Administrator

There are lots of good articles on the internet addressing this topic. The one I've found most useful is here:

http://softexpressions.com/help/faq/FAQbjs.htm#c82

The article advises against HP printers that use Ink Cartridges #10 and #11. Add #97 Tri-Color to that list.

I was very lucky this year and able to indulge myself with some of my tax return. Treated myself to a new Canon (one of the 2 brands most articles consistently recommend as the best for printing on fabric.) It uses their Chroma Life 100 inks. I also upgraded to 200ct muslin. Killed me to pay more per yard, but for once I truly believe I got something worth the "extra" money.

Using HP #97 ink, I lost at least 20-25% of the color every time, regardless of fabric or first-wash method or detergent. You can literally see the ink floating away every time.

The Canon CL100 gave results light years better than the HP#97 - on both grades of fabric. The 200ct results are by far the best, though.

If you are currently using HP#97, and plan to do a lot of printing on fabric, and can afford it, I do recommend you get a Canon. Make sure you get a model for which the cartridge numbers start with either CL or CLI. The least expensive of them use dye-based color inks, but pigment black. There are several models that use dye-based for all the colors and for black.

Most of them can be found for less than the price shown at Canon's own site.

I've already gone on and on here. (I can't even say "hello" in 25 words or less.) The article I attached is even longer, but includes the "rules" I've discovered over the years, the steps I used, and a summary of what it costs to POF.

If anybody out there gets pleasing results with an HP using #97 color, please share your method.
If you get great results with another brand or ink, please share also.

Attached Thumbnails attachment-67634.jpe  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-9802.pdf (73.2 KB, 151 views)