Old 10-28-2011, 05:38 AM
kwendt

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Here are my two latest purchases.

2nd is unidentified handcrank. I just picked it up last night off CL. This is the worst condition one I have ever gotten. I don't know if I will ever get it working. There is so much rust. But the needle bar and pressure foot will move. No movement in the transvers shuttle though. And there is no shuttle or bobbin.
Hi quilt addict. WHAT a FIND! That handcrank is a handmade, German Hengstenberg machine! High end for it's time-super german manufacturing and should clean up/work well I hope! Hugo Hengstenberg set up his factory in 1875, copied the most successful machine of the time: Singers model 12 New Family machine of 1865. Then he 'improved' it. A bit later, they made this most popular Transverse shuttle. It has a spring loaded catch on the base, and a handcrank has a upper gear case screw 'bump'.

The badge is unique. Three towered castle, the central tower being a church dome over an open gate to a city. This badge was the used for the H machines distributed through J. Silberg of Hamberg.

Information and picture of badge found on Alex Askaroff/sewalot website. Check out this page: http://www.sewalot.com/hengstenberg_machine_history.htm