Old 10-28-2011, 05:53 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by auniqueview
It certainly seems to be a well built machine. Of course, lol, I am the least likely person to judge sewing machines, since I have only recently "made friends" with more than the first Brother that I have had a non-aggression treaty with for years.

My mother was a wonderful seamstress, but she must have taken a dislike to me the day I was born. I'm lucky the woman in the bed next to her had a girl, because I am named after that baby. My dad was gone most of my life, working on construction crews that worked on the big dams, etc, and then, became so ill that he spent the rest of the time in the hospital, where I did not get to see him, and died when I was 14. I was pretty much an inconvenience, except to keep an eye on my brother. We lived with my grandmother, but she died when I was 8.

My gm had a great treadle machine, and I tried sewing on it, without any instructions, but as soon as I showed an interest, poof...she got rid of it. Same deal with the upright piano, lol, so no, I don't play, either. I never learned how to sew, but took up other crafts on my own. But I made up my mind I would learn how to not only sew, but would learn how to quilt. I am determined to take a quilt to our family reunion in 2014, for the family auction. And I seldom give up on anything.

My dh is starting to wonder about me, and my quest for the "right" sewing machine. I have tried to explain to him why I keep looking for another machine, but I don't think he really gets it. I think I am going to hand him the one quilt that I started to replace/repair a square (4x4) on, and see HIM roll it tight enough to get it under the needle and turn it. Then he might really understand. We will NOT discuss my hand sewing, lol.

I am not a complete novice, and have made my dogs some outfits, and some nice beds for them and for friend's dogs. Today I totally drove myself nuts, because I kept making the same dumb mistake on a simple dog bed. Fortunately, I pin them, turn them, pin them, turn them, checking before I sew. I am NOT ripping something the size of a bed, lol. Finally it hit me....turn the piece over, dummy. I did, pinned it in place, but have left the sewing til tomorrow. Some days I wonder where I left my brain?

I really appreciate all the help I am getting from the people on the board, and all the great ideas and inspirations from seeing the wonderful quilts and other items. Thanks, everyone.
Auniqueview, what story! Some of us could not even imagine a childhood like yours! It so so nice to hear in your words that you have triumphed!

Nancy