View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 08:54 PM
quiltswithdogs

I learned sewing basics in high school, stopped during college. Then I crocheted. Soon after getting married, DH surprised me with my first machine and I went to town on clothes. He sweetly wore even matching shirts or his shirt to my skirt...I know, I know... but it was a "thing" in the early 70s. When our daughters were little, I made them lots of cute clothes and crotched slippers. My sewing soon was just mending with a rare skirt, pajamas, or holiday or stage-performance costume. The closest thing I did to quilting was a pillow where I stitched over print of double-wedding ring... the cheating turned out pretty real looking and I never forgot it. So when in honor of my 50th birthday, I decided I needed a hobby and for it to be something nobody else I knew did, especially in my whole extended family, I remembered that pillow and how even pretending to quilt made me happy. I took a beginner class and told my sister the wallhanging would be a gift for our mom since she'd love it and I didn't know if I would be good enough at it to continue so it might be my one and only quilt. Well, I enjoyed it so much and it looked so great and everyone was so thrilled that I could do this, I was hooked! I really love the puzzle-piecing aspect. After my current projects with deadlines (baby quilt, daughter birthday) I am going to play around with kaleidoscope quilting. I have so many techniques and patterns to try, I rarely do the same one more than once unless it's just for a pillow. I love it, find it so mesmerizing that time can fly by with no tv, no music... only discussing quilting at hand things over with my dog and bird.