Old 10-28-2011, 07:50 PM
IrishNY

Originally Posted by dunster
I decided which machine to buy at a large show and got a price quote. Then I went to a local dealer, and he agreed to match it. I would advise buying from someone local who has a great reputation for service.

BEWARE - at the show they told me that I could buy from them and get the machine serviced under warranty by my local dealer. When I asked the dealer, he said that was not the case.
This really annoys me. If you buy a Chevrolet car, you can get it serviced under warranty at any dealer, not just the one you bought it at.

The practice of not having to provide warranty services for sewing machines that were purchased at another vendor provides a disincentive for a dealer to have competitive prices. Combined with the limitations on multiple dealers in a geographic area, it artificially keeps prices high.

It's kept me from purchasing another top-of-the-line sewing machine. I am just not going to pay an amount that is higher than the market rate (as evidenced by e-bay or other competitive pricing sources) because they threaten not to honor my warranty if purchased elsewhere at a lower price.

End of rant. :?