Old 10-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Charlee

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Charlee
I found the paint on my Davis to be rather....I don't know that "fragile" is the word I'm looking for, but for lack of a better word, I'll use it. I didn't lose any decals, but every time I cleaned, more black rubbed off. I finally decided that it was paint instead of dirt and quit trying to clean it ALL off! :lol: When I waxed it, I used a caranuba car wax, and in the places where the wax was a little thicker and didn't dry as fast, the black paint turned GREEN!! OMG! I was beside myself and almost in tears to have those green streaks in my beautiful black machine...but as they dried and "cured" it turned black again...

I think the black is more "sensitive" than are the decals...but if the black UNDER the decals loosens, the decals come off with it...
Charlee, I have a Davis made around 1886 - 1889. I cleaned it with Blue Magic TR 3 Resin Glaze. It has no decals to speak of left, but boy does the black paint shine! I cleaned until all the black stopped coming off - under that stuff was a beautiful shinny black paint job. I like it better the way it looks now then all rough with a few broken decals showing! At first, I was bummed out that I took all the decals off, but I like the slick feeling it has when I touch it now. It looks like a new machine, all shinny with no dull spaces! I'm thinking it is not the 'paint' that you are getting off, just the crude on top of the paint?

Nancy
Possible, but I really think it's oxidized paint...you know how the finish on a car gets dull and icky? That's what I think this is....and I think it's deep into the finish.... I used the caranuba first, finished with the TR3...that helped. :)