Old 10-28-2011, 09:08 PM
deemail

I would suggest making a set of potholders for your kitchen or for christmas presents...practicing binding is the best way to get it done the way you want it to look...I cut mine 3.5" to finish at 1/2" because it is double chanel binding. you cut it so that it is double the finished amount you need. you match the raw edges together, lay them on the raw edge of the quilt and sew at 1/2" thru all layers, with ALL raw edges together. now when you turn the fold over the edge and around to the back, you have a finished edge to blindstitch down. it will be smooth and finished and is much easier to do than a single layer binding as the bias is cancelling itself out as you fold it over... do not press these folds, that gives a 'wear' line and is not needed. bias binding is not needed for every project, this same process can be used on straight-of-grain strips, however, the reason you use bias on a large, heavy or heirloom piece is that the single thread on the edge of a quilt will wear thru and then the entire binding is loose.... when bias is used, the threads folding over on the edge are each moving on an angle and so are not stressed at the same point. in addition, it is much easier to move bias into curves and around corners. give yourself a chance, bind everything you work on for awhile, potholders, coasters, even armholes and hems...in no time you will feel confident enough to put lovely binding on your very best projects...