Old 10-29-2011, 03:34 AM
olebat

I Bleed Green. It was Girl Scout Green as a youth. The foundation of my life. The Mississippi cousins had 4-H but in the big City of New Orleans, Scouting programs ruled. Off and on in the adult life, I was GSA and BSA leader, and unfortunately, watched an unpleasant change in the program, where leaders were not leading, but doing for the kids. Fast forward to the last 22 years. My involvement with 4-H continues to grow. From a volunteer teaching about my aquarium hobby, to a current program assistant, who, in the words of my agent, " . . . does it all."

Recently, I applied for a large grant to build a Family Life Skills Lab. The grant requires a copy of the annual operating budget. We don't have a budget. The state provides office supplies, the county provides staff. Every program we have for the youth is self sustaining. There is an annual fundraiser which supports scholarships, programs and activities. 4-H membership is free, but there are fees for the special interest clubs, such as rabbit, archery, shotgun, horse, outdoor adventures, and when I get it going, the cooking & sewing clubs. Fortunately, the sewing I've done so far has all been done with donations of machines and fabric, (free for the kids.)

When our state 4-H was threatened by cut-backs, one of our kids began her own letter writing campaign. She got the attention of the Governor all the way down. It hit the news, and provided major public awareness, and finally a letter saying that the program would not be cut. We did loose some staff, but those positions are coming back now.

The 4-H programs build character, self esteem, confidence, knowledge, talent, and sooooo much more. Here, it is available to all children, 9 -19. No dues, no uniforms. I feel the roll 4-H plays is far more significant than the sports programs which are so popular. Most anyone with a thread of talent can become involved. Having your own kids is not a prerequisite. Call your local Cooperative Extension office to see how you can be involved.