View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 04:36 AM
barnbum

The replies here have given me goose bumps. Thanks for the question, Eddie.

I asked myself this question years ago. I've been quilting for about 15 years, and I stopped to ponder why it brought me such joy. I'm not a crafty person and hated my sewing class in high school. The only craft I enjoyed was making pressed flower pictures. But quilting then, it was all about choice. In a life of small kids and trying to be home as much as possible, quilting was one small area where I called all the shots. What shall I make? What colors? When will I work on it? When should it be done? Who will I give it to? Then--the joy of giving it to someone else was awesome.

We were not in a position to spend money on such things back then, so all my fabric came from Joannes or Wal-Mart--I talked my husband into using a Joannes credit card so we could get the gift card each month. I remember how excited he was to use the card on a business trip. One day I came home and he pulled the $40 in gift cards from behind his back--$10 by $10. :D Oh the happiness!! I only bought when these were in my pocket. Wal-Mart had great prices--and I never bought more than 1/4 to 1/2 yard at a time, for tops. I quilting everything myself, but nothing was too big.

I never took a lesson and for a long time didn't have a quilting book to learn from. I remember sitting in the aisle of a Sew-Fro Fabrics reading the directions and going "Oh, gosh, I'm supposed to be ironing all this?" :lol: I'd memorize steps, then run home to try them.

My first sewing machine was purchased from extra money I earned working in the Iris gardens with my dad.

My how far I've come. :shock:

PS Eddie--do tell your other long story sometime. As a parent and teacher, I'm interested in that sort of stuff. I'm so glad you traded the frustration for joy.