Old 10-29-2011, 07:53 AM
PB from MN

Like others on this board I was in 4-H, as was my husband, and my sons. I have been a 4-H volunteer and I still am a 4-H judge. 4-H is one of the best youth development programs around. 4-H is not just the county fair, though that is often the favorite aspect.

Not only do the youth learn project areas, they learn public speaking, Parlimentary procedures, builds confidence, they learn to rationalize their choices, demonstrations, how to talk to the judges, teaches responsibility, and the 4-Her often mentors the younger 4-Her's and youth who are taking a project area they may not be familiar with. Minnesota is facing budget cuts too and unfortunetly 4-H is not getting the funding it deserves.

To this day I cannot hear the Pledge of Allegiance without wanting to go into the 4-H Creed.

Yes, I am a huge supporter of 4-H. I also encourage members of this board to mentor youth in all areas but especially in the home ec areas. This is not being offered in many schools anymore and as 4-H judge I see so many youth who do not have anyone to teach them and they want to learn so badly.

So yes, not only did 4-H help me as a youth it has helped me as an adult.