Old 10-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Grandma58

Strip piecing confuses me it also allows no room for creativity in my opinion. I can sew individual diamonds faster then strips but I am never really thinking of speed as much as the creative process.
A good Native American star quilter can finish a give-a-way quilt (twin or a bit larger) in 24 hours from cutting to hand quilting binding sewn. It is impressive and I have participated in the hand quilting process, it is doable.

Originally Posted by Rose L
Grandma 58, I used to piece these stars for a living, for another woman who quilted them and sold them, most often to members of the Lakota Sioux Tribe in northern South Dakota. After a while I got fast enough that I could piece one per day including the side filler blocks. Others could do two per day and that impressed me. Looking at your quilts I noticed that you are making these with individual diamond shapes and not the by the strip method. I am really astonished by that. I didn't think anyone made them that way anymore and I certainly didn't. Your quilts are stunning and so beautifully well made. My hat is off to you!

PS...I love the colors in the quilt above your favorite one!