Old 10-29-2011, 12:11 PM
PatQuilts

Where do I start! I was in 4th or 5th grade when I joined a new club formed in my small town. Was also in Girl Scouts but it was 4-H that really made the difference in my life. I continued as a member right through college as my university as 4-H Club.

My first trip to another country (Canada) was part of a 4-H exchange. I was fortunate to be selected to attend the national conference in Chicago as a teen and saw my first ballet, major art and natural history museums, and a pops concert conducted by the legendary Arthur Fiedler.

I participated in the cooking and sewing classes--later taught classes as a teen leader. This confirmed my desire to teach home economics.

Most important was the self-confidence and leadership skills I developed. I was a quiet kid who was never part of the "in crowd." 4-H helped me believe in myself and find my own path in life. It was one of the reasons I was able to get scholarships that made college possible.

I will be forever indebted to the 4-H leaders and those in Cooperative Extension who are so essential to the programs. The day in 4th grade I signed up for 4-H was a huge turning point in my life.