Old 10-29-2011, 01:06 PM
purplemem

Here are pictures of my grandmother flower garden blocks.
The hexagons are 5 inches each, each total block of 1 center, 6 "flower print," 12 "green paths" and numerous white hexies. I haven't counted all the white ones yet. (Just counted 18)

I bought the half hexagon from Missouri Quilt Co. I can use my rotary cutter and 2 1/2 inch strips. I would never cut hexagons by hand as I dislike template cutting. I have considered using my accuquilt Go to cut the small hexies but I haven't bought that die yet. Also, I am waiting for the Go! to be repaired after I broke it in a sulky fit!

Each of these giant "flowers" is almost 28 inches across. I am using 9 "flowers" to make a queen top. I will add at least one border of hexies all the way around the edge but I haven't chosen if these will be colored or white.

I am auditioning the filler pieces now. I saw an oval "flower" to put between the white paths. I just haven't decided but I DO know that I will hand quilt this. I have purchased a lovely multicolor pastel thread named "sherbet" for the quilting.

The pictures are made on my phone, so not so good.

I did find an alternate method of piecing the blocks on Sewing with Nancy; she pieces in strips so there are no Y seams. I did one that way. It is faster but takes more concentration than I sometimes have.

block 1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]279005[/ATTACH]

block 2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]279006[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-278952.jpe   attachment-278953.jpe