Thread: Eleanor Burns
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 11:34 PM
2ursula

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Originally Posted by Barb44
I like her quilting techniques and her teaching style - makes it look easy. But I have not read any of her books on quilt history. I was not aware she had written any. I will have to look for them.
Most of her newer books have some history in them.
Victory Quilts is about WWII
Underground Railroad is about the slaves and the 'underground railroad'
and others.....
Great reading and inspirational.
Yes, I have her book "Victory Quilts".

Aside from the unique photographs, she writes for example how American Guilds made quilts for war-torn Europe. On one introductory page (with very great illustrations) she describes how people lived in those difficult WWII days.

In another video she talks about the way quilters communicated through their quilts to help slaves on their way from the South to safer places up North.

The video series "Stars Across America" tells about famous First Ladies and a few famous American women.

Now, you could say this is not really 'history'.
But then, most of what is dished out in 'history' books is nothing but spruced up legend with little relevance to the lives of Americans. I am more interested in the history of real people and their often heroic lives than wars and battles. Therefore, I enjoy Eleanor Burns' excursions into the past (if you don't want to consider it history).