View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 03:48 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

although i am very picky about the backs of my quilts i have used many different backing materials---some minkee---some fleece- some flannel- even corduroy- microfiber suede-
i choose the backing to go with the quilt--although i do not tend to use regular polyester fabrics- if that was what was going to work i would-
my only concern is making sure all can be cared for together- and who it is going to - how it will be cared for-
and i've made a few polyester quilts- for picnic/beach quilts- for the kids to make forts- go everywhere quilts-
i just make sure the fabrics in a quilt can all be cared for together- everything has to be wash/dry(able)
i have wool/silk quilts that are wonderful- with doublesided thick great flannel on the back-
i have quilts with silks, satins, cottons...

when deciding what to use in a quilt first think about who it is for/how it will be used and cared for- then choose your materials to work for that use/care---polyester holds up very well to frequent washings, wears like steel, does not shrink or fade---and pretty much stays the same as it is for it's life---(as in it does not soften up like cottons do)