View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 06:18 AM
Highmtn

YUM-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to all these recipes. :thumbup:

I got my first crockpot/slow cooker in 1977 and that thing just gave up the ghost about 4 yrs ago! Now I have 2, but could easily use 3 around the holidays.

Here's another one of my SIMPLE, but reliable family favorite quickies...

Pork Chops and Smoked Mushroom Gravy

A family sized pkg of pork chops ( I trim off most of the fat)

A couple LG. cans of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup. NOT diluted. I ONLY use Campbell's soup for this.. it's the best.

Baby Portabella mushrooms (quartered) - BUT you can use ANY mushroom. Fresh/dehydrated/canned /button mushrooms... it doesn't matter. The canned are my least favorite.

1/2 capful of liquid smoke (go easy with this..lol) I just stir the liquid smoke into one of the cans of soup before adding it.

In the crockpot layer:
START with a scoop of mushroom soup /pork chops/ a handful of fresh mushrooms/soup/chops/mushroom. I try to end with the mushrooms (or soup) on top. Basically, you want the chops smothered in the ingredients.

Cover - cook on low for 7-8 hrs or high for 6 hrs. This varies a little depending on how thick your pork chops are. You cannot wreck this with a little over cooking. So what if the meat is falling OFF the bone when you serve it. It deeeeeeelicious.

When done you don't even need to thicken the gravy. Also, that gravy is deeeeeeeeeeeeeeelish. I make mashed spuds (or rice) to go with it, and a green salad. My hub will eat 4 dinner rolls just soaking up the gravy..LOL

I've been making this for 30+ years...and it's still one of our FAVORITE crockpot meals.

ENJOY!!