View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 07:13 AM
nhweaver

Originally Posted by katier825
I love my Sapphire too! I haven't heard of any decline in the quality of Viking.
About 2 years ago, I got a Viking Sapphire 875Q especially for quilting and the wide throat/harp area. I hate it, it is loud, shaky when sewing, doesn't wind bobbins nicely (fickle, sometimes it does). It has been back 3 or 4 times, the dealer isn't happy with the new ones, they are made in China. Search on the internet for information and feedback on the newer 875q.
I have tried contacting the Viking Company, and they say that the dealer said that it is a bit loud, that it is the thread I am using that makes the bobbin wind loose ( bought the spool from him and we tried his, it didn't work). If you are buying a Sapphire 850, make sure you try the one you are buying in the store before bringing it home. Wind bobbins, listen to how loud it sounds, and how much it vibrates before you pay for it and bring it home. Most Viking dealers have a no return policy once the machine is used. I didn't know that when I bought mine.

Make sure the needle threader works smoothly too. I sew on my 10 year old Janome 10000. It is quiet, smooth, runs well. The viking sits in a closet, waiting for the day that the Viking corporation works something out with me. Buy a Viking Sapphire that is not made in China.