Thread: Material needed
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 07:35 AM
fayzer

Originally Posted by Plumtree
I am teaching a begining quilting class for my homeschool co-op. We are for their final project they are doing a 4 patch lap quilt that should end up at 64x64. I asked the parents to provide 3 1/4 yds. of fabric for the back, one parent has become upset with me saying that this is too much fabric and I am being wastful with others money. This fabric will also be a 4 in. border for the quilt top. I am assuming that the fabric will not be wide enough and will have to be cut in half then sewn back together to make it wider, does that make sense.

I guess what I am asking is this, is it too much fabric. I am allowing for boo boo's and I know there will be some extra but didnt' think it was a ton extra, definatly not enough to complain about. Would 2 yrds be more than enough, I just don't want them to run out.
Thank for your help

Tammy
It is funny how much math some parents seem to forget when they get out of school. As for the JoAnn's employee, maybe she needs a refresher course herself. They some times cut fabric catewampus and will short you on yardage. I don't consider them experts and watch them carefully as they cut my fabric.