Thread: Guilds
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 09:46 AM
YukonViv

We have two groups here in the Yukon...the Kluane's quilters guild which I just joined yesterday and the Pine Tree quilters who I'm not sure are an actual guild, they may be a group (I know several of the members on a casual basis so I'm going to look into some future meetings when the kids schedules work out that I can make it).

I joined because I think it's very important to support the local quilting community, plus it gives me a chance to meet more people, become friendlier with those I've encountered at classes and at the LQS.

And I get to take advantage of taking part in workshops, etc. The Kluane group is bringing up Sue Spargo for a workshop in the spring and I can't wait!!! They just had Carol Taylor here and while I didn't get to take part in her workshop (as a non-member I didn't have a clue she was coming!!!) I did get to see a talk she gave and presentation of several of her quilts. It was fantastic.

For the most part, when people group together those that know each other, or have personal relationships with each other tend to hang out. I know when I take some of my classes, I've signed up usually with a friend so we can do something fun together...doesn't mean we are a clique by any means, we just go as a team! And even though I'm the shyest person in the world, I do try to make the effort to say hello to those around me and ask them questions. It breaks the ice. If I'm tired or not feeling it though, I don't. Doesn't mean I'm a grumpypuss or rude, just that I'm in a quiet headspace and wish to remain quiet and hang out with my friend.

Its funny, a co-worker and I ended up at the same class (quite accidentally)...we each went in with a different attitude and you know what? the next day we each had a different perception of how the evening went. I'm a laid back, just enjoy the moment kind of girl (I know, I've been accused of being the office polly-anna on occasion) and meanwhile the other person didn't have a great time at all. I remember a lot of sighing from her area. Hearing her talk about it the next day, it sort of sounded like it had been a waste of time, effort, $$, etc. Two totally different perceptions of the same day.

I've also been a member of the local needlework guild for over 10 years...I joined a month after moving here. These women opened up life in the Yukon for me, they gave me a place to go once a month, and budding friendships (one who has become one of my bestest friends ever). While my schedule makes it impossible for me to attend meetings this year, I'm still a member, I support them, and I know they will be there when I again have the time.