Thread: Eleanor Burns
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 04:16 PM
FroggyinTexas

Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
As a women's history student I would like to know, how has Eleanor Burns's books about vintage quilts helped you in your understanding of women's history? Did you learn some history from her books? Have you been inspired to make a vintage-style quilt because of something you read in her books? Do you even LIKE Eleanor Burns? LOL I'm really looking forward to your answers. :) Thanks!
Eleanor Burn's Quilt in a Day books re-ligitimized a craft that had fallen between the cracks as women began to work outside their homes and had less time for sewing anything, much less quilts. I do not recall--that doesn't mean it wasn't there--any direct references to history in the Quilt in a Day books, but I was aware because of having books of vintage patterns that her techniques made it possible for women with limited time to get involved in a craft that is both useful and artful. Any author who encourages respect for the work women do, whether quilting, cooking, cleaning, or preaching has a reach that is immensely important. froggyintexas