Old 10-30-2011, 05:17 PM
All Thumbs

First of all, THANK YOU cloverbud for all your dedicated service to your community. As you mentioned on page 8, the growing skills learned in 4-H are beneficial for a lifetime.

4-H was huge in my life, my sister’s life and our mother’s life. Mom was a leader and saw us girls through many years. Since my sis and I were 8 years apart, it was almost two generations of 4-Hers under her leadership. Then after we left for college, Mom remained a leader for several more years.

While I did not have some of the projects cloverbud mentioned (aerospace, animal science, nutrition, computers—good gravy it was the 1950s and 60s! lol), I did have those pertaining to sewing, style review, soil conservation, and cooking. I really wanted to have a large livestock project but Dad said no. He did let me take up rabbits; I started with two bucks and four doe and a few cages. Needless to say, by fall I had 100 rabbits and several rows of cages. That year, meat preparation and freezing became my focal point by the county fair.

Would you believe I still have my 4-H green-white pinstriped dress I wore during demonstrations and as a delegate to the State Fair, the beanie, plus all of my pins, ribbons and trophies. Not sure who will find them interesting in 50 more years, but to me they are still an achievement of which I am proud. It is ashamed more communities and young people do not become involved in something like 4-H. We as a nation so need that balance between basic and technical. So much for my soap box. Thank you for starting this link. I have enjoyed reading everything.