Old 10-31-2011, 04:05 AM
Favorite Fabrics

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

You never know when you might need them to make a last minute Halloween costume for an almost-grown son!

DS decided yesterday that he wanted to be "Where's Waldo". So I drove him to the local costume store where we bought the last "Waldo" set (red-and-white striped shirt, matching hat, and black plastic glasses).

At 10:30 pm DS finally opened the package and informed me that the hat was missing.

!!

Panic sets in. I downsized my sewing room last year and gave away pretty much everything that I did not think I would use. Interlock knits being among the "goners". But, for whatever reason, I had saved a hunk of white, and in with bits and pieces of ribbing I found 12" of red. I had given away most of my yarn, too, but did have half a skein of white (for a pompom) and also one small ball of leftover red chenille (a castoff from my Mother).

And with these, I made "The Hat of Indecision". It's reversible, with red on one side (with a white pompom) and white on the other (with a red pompom). Roll up the brim to contrasting effect, and the hat is either Waldo or Santa. Great for someone who does not like to make decisions (my son).

All done by 12:08 AM!

And a nice perk? I already had the right color thread in the sewing machine. :thumbup:

I think DS owes me a hug. Or maybe I will settle for a share of the candy.