Old 10-31-2011, 06:28 AM
Charlee

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Have any of you rewired your machines with success? Is this something I could do safely myself or am I better off paying a professional to do that? I just bought a Singer 15-91 that has cracked rubber wiring. It runs fine and the light works but the rubber casing enclosing the wiring that runs from the motor to where the power cord plugs in is cracked.
DH does mine. The older machines aren't too hard. My BIL shrink wraps wires.
Oh wow - is your Husband good with electric? I'm wondering just how difficult a sewing machine must be. I mean, I'm not like, rewiring a house or anything. But at the same time, I often think those types of things, then get myself into a whole world of mess when I actually take on the project that "couldn't possibly be THAT hard." Lol*

Your BIL wraps the cracked rubber or the actual electrical wires? I suppose on my machine it isn't all that bad, I could probably leave it, but at some point if I can actually get it fixed up nice and neat I think I'll want to tackle that wire so it looks nice and neat too. But right now it's not really hurting anything.
Electricians use a "shrinkwrap" for wiring.... it comes in different sized tubes (you can get it at the box stores, i.e., Home Depot, Lowes, and I imagine hardware stores have it as well)

You slip the tube over the wires and then hit it with heat, either from a heat gun, or you can use a lighter flame.... it shrinks to fit tightly around the connection.

The spousal unit used some to put the "rubber" feet back on one of my picot hemstitchers.... :)