View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 07:31 AM
gramajo

The Jaycees have a weenie roast at the elementary school which is 1 1/2 blocks from my house, so I get lots of kids. Village sets hours at 4-7. DD & kids live in the country, but go to my school district. They come to my house & trick or treat on my block. Last year, DGS was "too old" according to him to go door to door, so he sat still on my front porch wearing a mask. With the older kids, he sometimes moved to scare them. He stayed still with the little ones, so as not to frighten them. It was a fun time.
Parents were with the kids, sometimes wearing costumes themselves. I knew a lot of them--it was enjoyable talking to them & commenting on the various costumes.
I'm working tonight, but DD & kids will be here. DD bought candy & will be handing it out. DGS will probably be a "statue" on the porch again. DGD is old enough now to go out trick or treating by herself, along with a couple of her friends.
I used to hate Halloween. All the people at the door drove my dog nuts--lots of barking. I took out the screen & glass in my storm door & handed out candy through the opening. Didn't have to worry about the dog escaping. :D