Old 10-31-2011, 08:42 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by jlhmnj
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Yep definitely a Davis Franklin! I would love to get it, though it is missing the drawers on one side, but Highland is down by LA - too far for me to drive!

Nancy
Hi---
I wasn't aware that Davis made Sear's Franklin's. Always thought the early ones were made by Domestic. All Davis machines for Sears and badged that I know of have a "D" followed by serial number on throat plate like the Minnesota's. The Franklin could be the exception however (?).
Jon
Jon, White made two Franklin machines that Sears sold. The Franklin VS and the Franklin Rotary. They have to be later than 1912 machines. I wasn't aware that there was also a machine called Franklin that Domestic made?

I didn't know anything about the 'D' on the Minnesota's - I don't own a Minnesota. That is something to remember! Now I will watch out for the machines with a 'D' in front of the serial number sold by Sears.

I know that Davis was the sole supplier of sewing machines to Sears until 1912. I also knew that Davis made the Minnesota A, B, C, D, & K.

The Franklin that Davis made with the elaborate decals modeled after Singer's 27/127 was also made for Sears in 1911.

That is what makes this group so neat - all the learning opportunities!

Nancy