View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 09:27 AM
mpeters1200

I agree with what Nstitches wrote. Her's is a good example. I shoot for 9-11 stitches per inch myself. There are two types of hand quilting. An elder lady friend of mine did needlepoint for many years and hers is all stab stitching and it looks gorgeous.
I prefer to rock the needle, but it took me a few years to get that down.

There are some that use a lap hoop, large embroidery hoop, a floor frame, qsnap pvc, lots and lots of quilting choices. I use a lap frame that looks like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barnetts-Lap...item45fd05d499

I also have a floor frame, but no room in my house to put it up. I have learned to prefer the lap frame anyway. Ihave more movement and flexibility in a lap frame. When I tighten the frame around the fabric, I close my fist and push down the center of the quilt a little bit. I make a little indentation that looks like a small cat or puppy could sit in it. If the fabric is too tight in the frame, you cannot rock the needle as easily.

The trick to any hoop or frame is to make sure you don't tighten it over pins. Can ruin the frame or destroy the pins and then you have to cut the pins out of the quilt and make an eternal hole in the fabric. Don't ask me how I know.

Your first effort is better than what I could do in my first year! Consistancy is much more important than size. I worked a long time to get my size manageable...but now I can't figure out how to use bigger stitches and pearl cotton for those larger stitch looks. UGH!!

Keep up the good work!