View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 09:44 AM
Kristin in ME

Originally Posted by catrancher
Originally Posted by nstitchs
I read all the replies and didn't see an answer to your question so I will try and help. I aim for 8 - 10 stitches per inch but personally I think it depends on the quilter, I am just counting the stitches you see as in - - - - - - - is 7 stitches. But when it comes down to it, consistency is far nicer that tiny stitches in my opinion. Mind you I am not a judge, I just enjoy the quilting part of it. lol
Thank you, I kept hoping someone would give me a straight forward answer like this.
I've also been learning that there are a lot of variables that affect stitch size, as well- though I try and try, I haven't been able to get more than 6 stitches per inch, then recently I learned that Warm n' Natural is not good for small stitches because of the scrim, and that's the only batting I've ever used. Can't wait to try a different batting on the next one and see if I can get more stitches out of it. Also the tension in your hoop, needle size, etc. Also, I count the stitches you see on the top of the quilt, as nstitchs said.