View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 09:59 AM
Mad Mimm

Originally Posted by Michellesews
...but the REAL Halloween message is not one I would want my kids to get...Michelle
I am curious - what is the "real message?"

As for trick or treating, I take my son around our neighborhood only. It has allowed us to meet the people around us that we might not otherwise meet, and feel more deeply connected to our community. We will take our 7 month old in costume but do not take candy on his behalf. My son has been taught to accept only 1 piece of candy, say trick or treat and thank you, and will not be allowed to trick or treat after he reaches middle school age. We have neighbors who host parties and we love to participate - again, rather than exposing my child to unnecessary harm and risk, he is gaining a sense of connection to his community.

There are plenty of houses who turn lights off and choose not to participate. We don't bother those houses. With the cost of candy being what it is, we sometimes go to the party store and buy party favors to hand out as an alternative. Interestingly, those are some of my son's favorite goodies.

Just because they knock on your door does not mean you have to hand over the candy folks. This is not a shake-down. If the teenager with the pillowcase is not wearing a costume or too old in your opinion, smile and say so.

Halloween is a fun time for kids and it should not be dampened because stodgy folks worry that the devil is at play. If you look at the history of the holiday, it derives from two main sources: The Celtic festival known as Samhain, which was traditionally a harvest festival that celebrated the summer bounty and provided an opportunity to take stock of that bounty in preparation for winter (oooohh, doesn't that sound EVIL?). And the Christian holy days known as All Saints' Day, which was a time devoted to honoring the departed and praying for the souls of those who had not yet reached heaven. Most Wiccans and other neo-Pagans celebrate the harvest aspect of the holiday, much in the same way most other folks do- again, I'd love it if someone could explain to me what is so evil about celebrating the bounty of the earth and praying for the souls of the departed?

Children are taught the traditions of their families and these traditions include holiday celebrations of all kinds. That is why I love the fact that people have so many ways they can choose to celebrate. Local church celebrations, school functions, neighborhood parties, trick or treating, staying home. You get to choose how you and your children celebrate.

As for me, bring on the trick or treaters. They will get a smile and a piece of candy here!