Old 10-31-2011, 10:40 AM
wvdek

Originally Posted by wvdek
This evening while having dinner at church, my DH's good friend, his GF and I were talking. After talking aabout all the snow everyone had, I made mention that because of all the power outages, that that is why I want a treadle sewing machine so I can keep on sewing.

DH's friend says, "I have one up at the house you can have". What! Be still my heart. "What brand is it"? "I don't know. It has a wooden case with several drawers chock full of old buttons and stuff and has a goofy looking rounded top that removes". "Oh, a coffin top". "Yeah, it does look like that". "

I'm going up tomorrow to loook at it. Either way, he is giving it to me and I will take it. I did ask him if he wanted me to make him a quilt and he reminded me I had already made him a fleece blanket that he uses all the time. (He and my DH made me a solid wood porch swing out of old school wooden (mostly oak with a nice piece of wormy chestnut) tongue and groove flooring boards. I made him the blanket as a thank you.)

I asked him if he wanted a valance made for his great room window. He said as long as it has black bears, pine trees, and pinecones, I could do anything I wanted. Woohoo!
I can only hope it is a gem. Will let ya'all know.
Well, when the homework got the better of me this morning, I asked DH to take me up to look at the machine. Naturally I forgot the camera.
Anyway, it is in pretty rough shape overall, but still salvageable.
It is, "The Eldredge "B" treadle in original cabinet with coffin top.
The machine is missing the bobbin but does have the case. The mechanisms all move rather freely. Most of the dcals are worn off or very faded. It needs a good kerosene soak for several days, I would say. Then alot of elbow grease. It will probably need re-painted in the long run. The treadle itself and the side legs are in great shape, just need cleaned well and re-painted.
We didn't bring it home yet. Took me almost an hour just to find some decent info on it. When I get it, It will have to sit here until next spring before I can work on it. Have to get school out of the way and warmer weather.
So, not as nice as I would like, but beggars can't be choosy and it is free!

PS - It is missing the bobbin case cover. Don't know if I can find one or not.