View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 01:06 PM
romanojg

Originally Posted by Willa
I have no problem with it. I feel if you think Halloween is evil then you should also think santa and the Easter bunny are evil. I enjoy seeing the kids in their costumes. I took my kids out when they were small so I will hand out till I'm older and have a hard time getting up. The kids do have to be there to get candy. If one is collecting for sibling that is home sick I just say well then I guess you'll have to share. Someone mentioned a parent coming to get treats for a sick child I would have told them go to the store and buy some candy so they could get home sooner to that sick child and that trick or treating should be less important than being with that sick child.

As for how much I hand out it depends on what candy I have, and how much I have. I start out usually with just one piece. If I'm not getting that many I'll up the amount. I usually try to turn off light around 8 or so.
I've been in my nieghborhood for around 20yrs and I've seen the participation go up and down as to ones who give it out. Right now its getting better. I no longer have kids at home let alone ones who trick or treat but I still give out candy and I enjoy doing it. After my grandkids go in thier area and trick or treat they come to my house to get special treats from thier GiGi. I'm also the same when giving it out and I try to have the little dumdums for the little ones who can't handle much more than that. When one of my sons were older his birthday was the beginning of Nov so we'd have a pinata and get rid of the candy. Now it just takes alot of time to eat it since we ration how much the kids can have at one time. I think it's terrible when people want to spoil or take away something like this where the kids can have supervised fun. I love seeing all of the costumes and some of those little ones make you want to pick them up and give them a big hug. I hope I'll be able to give out candy to the little ones for many many more years to come.