Old 10-31-2011, 04:31 PM
tropit

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by DonnaC
Is there a reliable website that shows the differences between the old Singers? I'm driving myself nuts trying to pick out a vintage machine. I did receive some responses about the Singer 128, but I'm not sure how it differs from the Singer 99K and would like to look that up.

I understand that some of you have extraordinary luck picking up these machines for $50 or less, but I assure you, there haven't been any in my area for a long, long time... that's why I'm looking on eBay.
What are you planning to do with your vintage sewing machine? (Makes a difference what you buy.) Are you piecing, FM, etc? Just liking the idea of vintage? I'm really into the slant-o-matics. Others here are into treadles. One of us might have something you might like to buy. Do you want one to haul around? We could start a topic about 'what machine do you sew on and what do you use that machine for?' How ever there are a lot of people with their needle stuck in the groove of brand new is tons better than vintage and they all show up and seem very determined. I prefer a Singer 403 or 503 - they do a lot - they are all metal, you can see the needle, they have a drop in bobbin, economical, parts are available - easy for me to work - they thread front to back - when you are dyslexic that is a huge plus. I've seen the light on the 15 clones. Very nice machines and not terribly expensive - sew through anything. I can fix them and I can see what I'm doing. Some on here are going to have a favorite Singer 66 or what ever. I now have one but I haven't tried it out yet. Maybe each would give a reason for liking what they have.
Oh Miriam, I hear you. I just love my 403A. I bought her in 1972 and she's never, ever failed me, after all these years. I'm thinking of getting another one just to replace her, or keep for parts.

I recently bought the treadles for those days when the sun refuses to shine...I'll be totally on solar power soon. I think that I'll leve them just as much.

~ Cindy