Old 10-31-2011, 04:40 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tropit
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by DonnaC
Is there a reliable website that shows the differences between the old Singers? I'm driving myself nuts trying to pick out a vintage machine. I did receive some responses about the Singer 128, but I'm not sure how it differs from the Singer 99K and would like to look that up.

I understand that some of you have extraordinary luck picking up these machines for $50 or less, but I assure you, there haven't been any in my area for a long, long time... that's why I'm looking on eBay.
What are you planning to do with your vintage sewing machine? (Makes a difference what you buy.) Are you piecing, FM, etc? Just liking the idea of vintage? I'm really into the slant-o-matics. Others here are into treadles. One of us might have something you might like to buy. Do you want one to haul around? We could start a topic about 'what machine do you sew on and what do you use that machine for?' How ever there are a lot of people with their needle stuck in the groove of brand new is tons better than vintage and they all show up and seem very determined. I prefer a Singer 403 or 503 - they do a lot - they are all metal, you can see the needle, they have a drop in bobbin, economical, parts are available - easy for me to work - they thread front to back - when you are dyslexic that is a huge plus. I've seen the light on the 15 clones. Very nice machines and not terribly expensive - sew through anything. I can fix them and I can see what I'm doing. Some on here are going to have a favorite Singer 66 or what ever. I now have one but I haven't tried it out yet. Maybe each would give a reason for liking what they have.
Oh Miriam, I hear you. I just love my 403A. I bought her in 1972 and she's never, ever failed me, after all these years. I'm thinking of getting another one just to replace her, or keep for parts.

I recently bought the treadles for those days when the sun refuses to shine...I'll be totally on solar power soon. I think that I'll leve them just as much.

~ Cindy
The Singer 503 is just as nice. I gave one to my DIL and she really took off on sewing. Every where she hauls that machine people ew and aw over it. Her mom was shocked that she would sew at all - she said she tried to teach her to sew and it didn't work - DIL says she just feels like it is a really good tool. Don't get me wrong - I have an Elna that I dearly love, too - but I can work on the 530 and I can find parts for the 503... I'm kinda stupid about the clones - I like them - if I can keep track of which way the needle goes and which way they thread I'm good with those. They turn nice and easy and they go through about anything. They are so cheap - if you wear one out just find another one...