Old 11-02-2011, 05:19 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Zannie View Post
Billy - I just got my great grandmother's 1892 treadle - the paint is off of the bed but I don't care it's from them (gg and g) sewing overalls and so many clothes. But is there something I should do to keep it from coming off on cotton fabric - I want to make a quilt this winter when it snows and nobody can get here. Also what do you use on the wood cabinets it has a top that lifts off. the wood is very dry? Thanks and hope you are getting better every day.
Zannie welcome aboard. The top you mention that lifts off is the veneer coming off. The only thing you can do is re-glue it or replace the veneer. Most of us have had to deal with peeling veneer. Glenn in this shop has a tutorial on re-finishing cabinets, but since this site got revamped yesterday I am not sure how to direct you around. There are also tutorials on how to clean the machines too. I use Blue Magic 12a TR-3 Resin Glaze to shine up the machines and get off the old gunk that builds up over years and years. The Blue Magic won't remove the paint but if you clean too hard to will remove the decals so be very careful around the decals!

Nancy