View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 01:43 PM
dunster
Power Poster

It's funny how we all approach longarming differently. I've had mine for about 21 months now, and I have not done any pantos. That just doesn't appeal to me. I think they look fine, but I'm not interested in following the lines. I do everything freehand - feathers, swirls, leaves, etc. - and recently started doing some ruler work. And yet I am feeling just as you, that I am in a rut and need to improve my skills. I'd like to have more designs in my repertoire, and I'd like to do more controlled designs. I decided that for the next year I will be concentrating more on the longarm. I know that the main rule is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. I just bought several books on longarming techniques, and I'm going to go through and see what I can use from them. Then I'm thinking about taking some classes, either at quilt shows or online. I don't longarm for others, just for myself and comfort quilts for the guilds, so the problem will be getting enough tops made to practice on. (Yeah, I know you can use a quilt sandwich made from cheater cloth or solid fabric or just about anything, and I will do so, but there's still something different about practicing on pieced tops.)