View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 02:23 AM
Lisanne

Butterflywing, thank you for the great explanation of cottons and thread count. How did you come to learn all that? I always wondered why Egyptian cotton was considered better. I just assumed it sounded exotic, a marketing thing.

I've bought Egyptian cotton sheets and always been disappointed. Frankly, for me, weave makes more of a difference than thread count. I miss the old percale weaves. 200 - 260 thread count was just fine with them, and American cotton. I bought printed sheets from the early '70s, back when I was a kid, actually (always liked pretty linens). Haven't been able to get printed sheets for the last 10 years, and I haven't found the newer ones to be anywhere near as nice, comfortable or durable. Any idea why my experience seems to go counter to the "improvement" in material?

Interesting that Indian cotton is considered the coarsest. I've always liked Indian cotton blouses and shirts. Weave, again. I didn't know it had to do with fiber length.

As for quilting, I'm working with solid colors right now. Got some standard cotton at Joann's and when one of the colors turned out to be a synthetic blend, I went in search of that color in 100% cotton. Finally got some in the fabled Kona cotton, but I don't like the Kona at all. It's much coarser and denser than the Joann's cotton. Granted, the Joann's stuff is only decent, not top quality, but the Kona stuff is more like sailcloth, IMO.

Maybe I'm just contrary or backward or something.