Old 11-03-2011, 02:59 PM
serenitybygrace

There are many children's books that are about quilting. Ask your children's librarian at your public library. They can probably get some from interlibrary loan if they don't have some in their collection. It would be nice to have some books available on the subject.
Our library as well as the Kansas Historical Museum have boxas available for check-out on different subjects. These two things may give you some ideas. The boxes usually have hands-on materials and books about whatever subject they are designed for. For the youngest children, you might use shape blocks and printed quilt patterns on tag board. Probably the youngest children would enjoy and feel more successful placing the shape blocks over the patterns.
You might be able to use colored paper or even scrapbooking papers to make 4 patch blocks for the children who are a little older. I would have a base the full size of four blocks placed on top. If you could laminate them, the children would not pull the holes out as easily. The top blocks could be solid &/or printed. Punch holes with a scrapbooking hole punch maybe 1/8" - 1/4" in diameter. Give them yarn needles already threaded with yarn to sew with. Your might make several groups with a teacher/helper for each group to help.
For older children, you could go to using fabric perhaps along the same theme with perhaps more/bigger top blocks. Using your Accuquilt to make shapes from fabric to be added to the top of the blocks would be nice also.
I know you probably have hundreds of ideas. Culling the ideas and focasing on a simple multi-tier lesson is usually the main problem. I know your class will be wonderful and the children will have a great time.

Last edited by serenitybygrace; 11-03-2011 at 03:03 PM.