View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Delilah

Some one PMed me and asked for directions to make the first quilt (brown/beige) so I wrote out some. I made up a pattern from a block that I had seen.
The blocks are 12" square (finished, 12.5" unfinished).
1) For the centers cut (2) 2" strips of each fabric, strip piece them, alternating fabrics, and sub-cut into 2" units. Flip one unit around and join two units together.
2) Next strip piece 3.5" strips of each fabric and sub-cut them into 2" units. Sew one to either side of center unit alternating the colors.
3) Next strip piece 3.5" strips of each fabric and sub-cut them into 3.5" units. Sew one to either side of step 2, again alternating the colors.
4) Finally strip piece 6.5" strips of each fabric and sub-cut them into 3.5" units. Sew one to top and one to bottom, alternating colors.
I made 20 blocks for my quilt but you can obviously make as many as you like. I think I cut the first border 1.5", and can't remember how big the second border was. I screwed up on cutting some strips too small so decided to sew them together and used that screw up to make the corners of the second border so that border is however wide the squares ended up. Do let me know if you have any other questions. Hope my instructions are helpful, it's very hard to write them out without including pictures.