View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 03:20 AM
sweetana3

We just got back from Portland. Take a list of your supplies needed for Fabric Depot. I was amazed at the diversity of notions as well as fabric. Some things I had not seen elsewhere. But I did not have a list and was overwhelmed. It was great that they dont use the same distributor as all the other national craft stores.

Powells Books downtown has a wonderful quilt book section with good prices. A whole wall of quilt books. Give yourself some time because it is huge. Take a list of any book you are looking for.

A full day bus/train/streetcar pass is $5 and you can ride out to 122nd and then walk about 1/4 mile south to Fabric Depot. We took a long ride on the streetcar around the Pearl District. The Saturday (and sunday) Art Market downtown was worth it. Great food stalls, inexpensive things to buy, great vibe. Very friendly vendors.

If the Farmers Market is going on downtown at the university, it was well worth it. Again great vendors, great stuff, great food. I was very impressed with Portland.

The trains and streetcar were fun and easy to ride. Free all around the downtown area. Fun to do sightseeing this way and save the legs.

Mother's Bistro was a fabulous restaurant downtown. The kind of place where the waiters wear long white aprons, they know the menu, the coffee is very very good. The food is fresh cooked and well presented. Try their homemade jam. Very very busy in the morning on weekends but we got an immediate seat at the bar. We liked it so much we ate there twice. This place is popular. Otherwise be sure and try some of the creative street food stalls.