View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 03:21 PM
deemail

Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
I would like to learn how to design a bed quilt so the top is blocks and then there is a solid strip before it drops over the side of the bed. On the sides hanging down I want to add more blocks followed by the boarder. I can't figure out how to do this. Thank you so much for taking time to help us all.
i do most of my design work on graph paper...remember the old 'composition books' the ones with the marbled black/white covers...well, now they come in those covers and some other colors/prints as well.... these books come in lined, plain, and graph paper. they are inexpensive at both office depot and staples... the only places to get the graph versions that i know of. it gives me a great place to keep all this info together so i don't lose it.

now go to the top of a page ... define for yourself (and ONLY for this one project)... what one square means... sometimes for whole quilts, i will use one block for one square, but typically, i will declare one block to mean 3" or 4" whichever gives you better math for your block. Let's say you have a 10 inch block....in that case i would draw a dark line around one little square and then and '=' sign and '5 inches'.... now i need 2 sq vertically and 2 sq horizonitally to make one 10 inch sq... draw heavy lines to represent each sq in your quilt.... now i play with different strips of paper to determine if i want 3" or 4" or 15" for the first border.... of course they must be the same gauge...just use the graph sq to mark construction paper in the right width and then cut and play till you're sure you like the balance. now draw in your heavy line for that next portion... and finally, you are ready to play with the new blocks to determine how big they should be and how many you will need. it's easier to see than to imagine and you don't have to start drawing from scratch. it's kind of a manual version of EQ...

now the best part.... i get the drawing complete with block, insets, borders, etc. and 2 yrs from now i decide i like the pattern but would like to have a twin version for a friend..... go to the facing page and re-declare the sq to be equal to 2 inches.... now work out the measurements from the original drawing...you don't need to re-draw...just count squares to see how wide and long the new blocks, insets and borders would be. you just have to remember to title the new info 'Twin Size'.... or 'baby size', or king size.... the block, inset, and borders will still be balanced and look good on a different scale and you will have had to do very little work...

this is all possible, but you understand you will want a copy of EQ very soon...

Last edited by deemail; 11-04-2011 at 03:24 PM.