Old 11-04-2011, 04:55 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Mulling over an idea right now. I have a 99k that I was going to convert to a hand crank for a future project, build a little box for it, so on. Now I am thinking it would be neat to put it in a treadle. I have a base I could use (no idea of the maker). The 99k came in a cabinet (bad finish), and I was thinking I could use the top off that and put that on the treadle base, making whatever modifications I would need to make it fit over the legs properly. I don't like the color of the cabinet, so also had the idea to paint it all a nice glossy black, maybe with some gold details (kind of like on the machine itself). I figure if I have to cut off the legs or remove a side, I might as well make it a color I like. Any ideas? I'm wondering if my day dreaming is getting to be too big a project! How much glossy black is too much?? The hand crank would definitely be easier.
We did just that with my 401G. We took the top of a table the machine fit in and put it directly on the irons. All we had to do is line up the belt, and put in a couple screws. The table was made in a way that we could remove just the top and the hinged part - that way there is plenty of leg room. It isn't very pretty though. I like the idea of glossy black, but the 401 isn't black.