Old 07-29-2009, 04:19 PM
ai731

Fabric disaster!

Below are photos of the two blocks I *wanted* to make for the swap. The brighter/darker blue&yellow one is OK, I'm still planning to do them for the swap. But I really wanted to do two sets, so that I'd have 24 blocks to play with and make into a quilt - maybe for our guest bedroom.

I had the pale blue fabric with the little yellow suns & stars on it, and so I bought the yellow gingham fabric to go with it to make my second set of blocks. I started sewing the blocks today - fabric disaster! The gingham isn't 100% cotton. I don't know what the content is, but it isn't sewing well at all! I'm usually really careful to check the fiber content on the selvage when I buy fabric, but the gingham didn't have a printed selvage. I shouldn't have bought it if I wasn't sure - I won't be making that mistake again!

So I really don't feel I can send these blocks in for the swap. It doesn't show in the picture, but the seams are all puckered up, even after repeated ironing. I think what I'll do instead is make these blocks up into a baby/child quilt to donate to a shelter or emergency services. I have some yellow fleece I could use to back it. Someone's little boy won't mind if the seams are all puckered, I guess...

But now I only have one set of blocks to send for the swap :( I'm a fairly new quilter so there aren't enough blue & yellow scraps in my scrap bag to make 12 blocks.

Jan
Attached Thumbnails attachment-16206.jpe   attachment-16207.jpe