Old 11-05-2011, 05:22 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by mpeters1200 View Post
Hello fellow vintage lovers. I really have to go to the VSMG and get a little screw. The tiny little piece of wire-type metal that holds the thread above the needle flung off. I don't know if the screw broke or fell out or even came with it. It's such a tiny, tiny screw. Since I don't have it, I can't measure it and figure out how tiny it is to try and order one from sew-classic. So, this leads me to a question, is it ok to quilt it if that little thingy isn't on there? Is it going to mess up anything in the machine if it's not on there? I'm not sure when I can get back to the shop or if he'll have the right one on hand. He says he has a ton of small ones. The one he gave me to replace it is really tiny, but still too big for the hole.

I have some projects that need quilted before the end of the month. I want to get on these soon. Managed to get some basted the other day, but need more spray, pins, and pain free moments to get on the floor and finish the rest.

~M~
Mpeters, the little thingy you are talking about, is it the 'check spring' that takes up the tension in the thread as you sew to keep from getting jumped/messed up stitches? Most of the really old machines will work without the 'check spring.' Sometimes you won't get the nice stitch, though, as that 'check spring' is what keeps the tension even on your thread when you're sewing. Billy sold me a check spring in the past; and, he probably has the one you need. You should PM him about it.

Nancy