Old 11-05-2011, 08:23 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by nellybelle View Post
Hi:
A question for you. My daughter has a machine in cabinet that she was given.
Here are the numbers: JA2 Model 270 k911643.
It is a New Home. Evidently made by Janome. Can you tell me when it was made - year mostly.
I have decided it is a "vintage" not an "antique".
Nellybelle, the JA machines were usually made in Japan. There are no records to date the machine exactly. New Home - a company from 1879 through 1927 - was bought out by Free Sewing Machine Company or was it Free Westinghouse?, but continued to operate as a subsidiary of Free under the New Home Name. Then in 1960 the New Home - subsidiary of Free - was purchased by Janome Sewing Machine Co of Japan. I'd guess her machine is at least a 1960 or later version if it was made by Janome? I think there were some Singer Model 15 clones with the JA in the serial number that are older than 1960 - like the late 40's on, but we still can't date them exactly. You should post a picture, but don't ask me how as I still am not able to post pictures to this group!
Oh you can call New Home or send the serial number to the New Home Sewing Machine Co, PO Box 25901, Los Angeles 25, California. I don't have the phone number, but someone on here does. The New Home office can date some of their machines through 1955.

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 11-05-2011 at 08:36 AM.