Thread: Geneology
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 04:45 PM
luvnquilt

I've been so lucky in genealogy, I've found cousins willing to share photos, and a distant cousin in Missouri who posted on find a grave. I've hit a few snags, my ancestor James Armstrong (1750-1805) was born in scotland and passed in Kentucky. I have journal writings from his grandson (my gg-gf) who was obviously feeling like the last one left and wrote about his brothers and sisters and a few other relatives -(the stories are great to have!!) I'm so lucky to have the transcribed versions of these but would love to have actual copies. I spoke to the relative who has these but she's in her 80's and didn't seem to want to dig them out of any boxes. She said they were in pretty poor condition when she transcribed them. Anyway, nobody seems to have verified the dates of our original ancestor's move from Scotland to america and there's also a little discrepancy about his wife's maiden name. If I didn't have husband and kids, I'd love to move east and bury myself in those libraries and see what I can find.
I also have ancestors who moved from France to Canada and have had trouble with the French research. Someday I think I'll just pay to have a french researcher see what they can find and get better dates and maybe even some stories. I like the stories best.
Then there are the original dutch settlers - which is so cool to know but I have to do some detailed research and have been procrastinating
I'd love to have a quilting buddy and a genealogy buddy but so far haven't found these things locally, but this quilting board fills the void.